Banner
Advertise with us

Home Canadian Bishop Lahey’s sentencing hearing postponed to August

Bishop Lahey’s sentencing hearing postponed to August

E-mail Print
AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Retired Bishop Raymond Lahey of the Diocese of Antigonish, Nova Scotia, arrives at a police station in Ottawa 2009. The bishop, who pled guilty to importing child pornography in May, has had his sentencing hearing postponed to early August because the Crown has not received the forensic psychiatrist's report. Photo by Chris Wattie / CNS, Reuters.Retired Bishop Raymond Lahey of the Diocese of Antigonish, Nova Scotia, arrives at a police station in Ottawa 2009. The bishop, who pled guilty to importing child pornography in May, has had his sentencing hearing postponed to early August because the Crown has not received the forensic psychiatrist's report. Photo by Chris Wattie / CNS, Reuters.Crown waiting on report from forensic psychiatrist
By Deborah Gyapong
Canadian Catholic News

OTTAWA (CNN)--Bishop Raymond Lahey’s sentencing hearing for importing child porn has been postponed to Aug. 4 and 5.

The sentencing hearing had been scheduled for June 24, but the Crown had not received the report from forensic psychiatrist Dr. John Bradford, who assessed the former Antigonish bishop.

Lahey, 71, faces a minimum of one year in prison and could receive up to 10 years. In August, Bradford will be cross-examined concerning the bishop’s mental state and likelihood of reoffending.

Lahey pleaded guilty to importing child pornography May 4. His plea came 18 months after a Canadian Border Services Agent stopped the bishop at Ottawa airport in September 2009 and pulled him aside for a secondary search of his laptop.

A more serious charge of possession for the purpose of distribution was dropped by the Crown. The bishop opted to go to jail immediately, pending his sentencing hearing.

Lahey’s lawyer Michael Edelson told the court May 4 his client “feels very deeply and profoundly remorseful for what he has done.”

Lahey’s computer and other electronic devices contained 588 photos, 60 videos and stories the police categorized as child pornography. The stories fell into themes of torture, humiliation, degradation and slavery of young boys.

The bishop, who resigned his Antigonish See abruptly after his electronic devices were seized, could face canonical penalties, including dismissal from the clerical state.

After he pleaded guilty May 4, the Vatican press office released a statement saying: "The Catholic Church condemns sexual exploitation in all its forms, especially when perpetrated against minors. Although the civil process has run its course, the Holy See will continue to follow the canonical procedures in effect for such cases, which will result in the imposition of the appropriate disciplinary or penal measures.”

The Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops also issued a statement condemning “all forms of sexual exploitation, especially involving minors” and said it “continues to work to prevent such behaviour and to bring healing to the victims and their families.”

Last Updated on Friday, 08 July 2011 08:17  

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

 
Banner

 

Banner

 

Multimedia

Salt and Light Webcast
  
  Courtesy of Salt & Light Television



Click image to watch Video
Paul Goo's Diaconate Ordination

Click image to watch Video
Thank You John Paul II

Click image to watch Video
Pope John XXIII - Reflection

 


 

 
150 Robson Street Vancouver BC V6B 2A7 Phone: 604 683 0281 Fax: 604 683 8117
© The B.C. Catholic

Informing Catholics in Canada since 1931